Temporary Food Establishments

The North Carolina "Rules Governing the Sanitation Food Service Establishments" require food service operators at festivals, public exhibitions and special events to obtain a permit in order to prepare and sell food to the public. These food or drink establishments are considered Temporary Food Establishments.  

If you would like to sell food at a festival in Scotland County you may need a temporary food establishment permit. Temporary Food Establishment (TFE) permits are issued to food and drink vendors that operate in conjunction with a fair, festival or other public exhibition.  

Effective September 1, 2012 new TFE regulations were adopted. One of the changes requires all TFE vendors and food service personnel to adhere to an Employee Health Policy Agreement.

A TFE Event Coordinator must submit all Food Vendor Applications, TFE Commissary Applications (when necessary), and an Event Coordinator’s Application to the Scotland County Health Department. 

A fee of $75.00 per permit must be paid with each Food Vendor Application.
Payment(s), along with the application(s), may be mailed or delivered to: 

Scotland County Health Department
P.O. Box 69
Laurinburg NC, 28353 

The Event Coordinator application must be submitted at least 15 days and the vendor application must be submitted at least 3 days prior to the event.
No TFE applications will be accepted after this deadline.