Scotland County Parks and Recreation Advisory Board
Leigh Carter, Chairman
Beatrice Sams, Vice-Chairman
Guy McCook, County Commissioner
Mayor Matthew Block, Laurinburg City Council
Ann Kurtzman, Aging Advisory Council
Functions of the Advisory Board
- To inform and interpret the needs of the general public to the Parks and Recreation Director.
- To assist in developing a plan to meet the present and future needs for programs, services, parks and facilities, open spaces, and trails and to advise in developing priorities for each of these.
- To recommend and advise on the acceptance of grants, gifts contributions or donations made available to the parks and recreation department through the Scotland County Parks and Recreation Foundation.
- To serve as a forum in introducing innovative and new ideas, concepts, programs, policies and procedures.
- To generally work toward a favorable public opinion of, and support for, parks and recreation services.
- To assist in matters relating to maintaining the highest standards of parks and recreation leadership and in the quality of the programs offered by the department.
- To assist the parks and recreation department in working with other organizations and groups. This function will assist in providing new and innovative programs for the citizens and community.
- To assist the department in recruiting volunteer staff to work with programs and activities.
- To assist the department in evaluating programs and activities.
- To assist the department in developing program priorities.
- To assist the department in the implementation of any special projects and studies.
- Upon request, recommend approval of rules and procedures pertaining to recreation programs and to use the public parks and facilities, including suggested fees and charges.
Please feel free to contact your Advisory Board Member with suggestions or comments.
To contact Parks and Recreation call 277-2585.