Child Support

Child Support Services

Child Support Services (CSS) are available to anyone who is the custodial parent (CP) or guardian of a child under the age of 18 years old. To receive child support services, the CP or guardian must simply complete an application (an application fee may be required). Recipients of Work First Family Assistance (WFFA) or some type of Medicaid will automatically be referred to the child support unit and must cooperate with child support or possibly lose these benefits.

Types of Child Support Assistance

Child support offers five types of assistance:
  • Location of the Non-Custodial Parent
  • Paternity Establishment
  • Establishment of a Support Order
  • Collection and Distribution
  • Enforcement of the Support Order

Payers of child support direct their payments to one (1) of three (3) post office boxes owned by the State. Payments that are delivered to these post office boxes are picked up each day for processing.

A post office box has been designated for each of the following types of payments

  • Direct payments from obligors
    • NC CS Centralized Collections
      PO Box 900006
      Raleigh, NC 27675
  • Payments from employers
    • NC CS Centralized Collections
      PO Box 900012
      Raleigh, NC 27675
  • Other types of payments
    • NC CS Centralized Collections
      PO Box 900020
      Raleigh, NC 27675

"Other" types of payments include (but are not limited to) out-of-state payments, payments from insurance companies, lien payments, bond payments, military payments, purge payments, financial account seizure remittances by Clerks of Court, and Workers' Compensation claims. These types of payments need a separate post office box because additional research could be necessary to ensure proper identification of the payment type.

To learn more you can go to