Nursing care in a Veterans Affairs (VA) or private nursing home may be provided veterans who are not acutely ill and not in need of hospitalization. If space and resources are available in VA facilities, the VA may provide nursing home care. Veterans who have a service-connected disability are given first priority for nursing home care.
Income Eligibility Assessment
The following may be eligible for nursing home care with an income eligibility assessment:
- Veterans exposed to ionizing radiation during atmospheric testing or in the occupation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- Veterans of the Mexican border period of World War I who are eligible for Medicaid
- Veterans who were exposed to herbicides while serving in Vietnam
- Veterans with a condition related to an environmental exposure in the Persian Gulf
- Veterans with service-connected disabilities
Non-service connected veterans and 0%, non compensable service connected requiring nursing home care for any non-service connected disability must submit an eligibility Form 10-10F. VA will determine if they will be billed for nursing home care.